- is a field of study and a profession situated in the human sciences that draws from a range of disciplines
- is an academic discipline, a curriculum area, an arena for everyday living and a societal arena to influence and develop policy
- integrates knowledge, processes and skills to take transformative action
- settings include households, local and global communities
- contexts include food; nutrition and health; textiles and clothing; shelter and housing; consumerism and consumer science; household management; design and technology; food science and hospitality, human development and family studies; education and community services
- values include caring, sharing, justice, responsibility, communicating, reflecting and visionary foresight.